Developing your Teams
Working to create high performing teams is one of the surest ways to actively support, not just demand, achieving more with the same resources.
Knowing WHERE to intervene is absolutely key to effective team development. Countless hours can be spent with limited gain “getting to know each other better” if your reason for existing isn’t well understood. That’s why we have developed our Team Hotspots© interactive diagnostic tool. It allows each team member to feedback online on 16 team essentials in 4 dimensions
How We Focus
The clarity of direction and alignment of your collective efforts, the extent to which you hold each other accountable, the importance of your results to others
How We Act
Levels of openness or transparency, willingness to challenge each other, what you will or are reluctant to talk about, levels of trust, consistency of behaviour
How We Connect
How effectively you use your time together, degrees and quality of support, links you make to the work of other teams, rigour of your contracting
How We Equip
Skills and capabilities to do what you need to, access and influence with decision makers, growth of your talent base, having the ‘tools to do the job’.
Results can be shown and analysed live in the room or by videoconference with the team to stimulate rich and informed conversations leading to action.
It’s no accident that Executive teams who work well together, who have a shared understanding of purpose, goals, priorities, who are supportive yet are able to robustly challenge each other, and who enjoy the trust and respect of each other, tend to create a positive ‘ripple effect’ throughout their organisations.
It’s also too often true that blocks to organisational performance can be traced back to how the top team work together.
At Arwel Douglas we are experienced at working with senior teams to facilitate the process of enabling ‘game changing’ leadership around such issues as:
- What’s our direction of travel?
- What are we trying to create in this organisation?
- How do we leverage speed, flexibility and value?
- What’s stopping us moving forward together at pace?
- How do we lead as one, out there in the business?
- What’s it going to take from each one of us?
In so doing we will help senior leaders to raise their awareness of what they are doing (through their behaviours, actions, beliefs, attitudes, assumptions etc) to create or suppress the success they want……. and be clear on what to do about it from here.
How to get more with less? Our research into the factors which unlock extra-ordinary effort in teams confirmed that the biggest influence by far was the quality of relationship between leader and the team. We jump through hoops of fire for the leaders we are committed to and we will leave those that we don’t.
With this in mind Inside Out workshops, in a safe and positive environment, use the power of openness, maybe some vulnerability, honesty and real self-examination to build much stronger understandings and appreciations of strengths and help leaders and their teams to tune into the patterns that will build lasting commitment across the team.
As a result of this workshop participants will
- appreciate what is really good about themselves and have made a choice to bring more of this to work
- become a more courageous contributor within the business
- inspire and encourage others around them to bring the best of themselves to work
- have built stronger connections with your team
These workshops, best delivered with intact teams, generate honesty, help people to drop their barriers, encourage enquiry and an appreciation of strengths… and of course are highly engaging.
“The sum of the parts …”. The holy grail of team development. How do you work in ways which make the contribution of the whole team greater than that achieved by a collection of individual contributions?
The first stage is to be sure you need to be a team to do what’s needed. Some “teams” torture themselves over the quality of cabinet decision-making or active co-operation when actually all that’s needed is to keep each other informed and not tread on each other’s toes!
Knowing what kind of team you need to be to do what’s required, in turn begs the question; “What’s this team’s purpose, or its unique contribution?”
Knowing WHERE to intervene is absolutely key to effective team development. Countless hours can be spent with limited gain “getting to know each other better” if your reason for existing isn’t well understood.
We provide you with tools, frameworks, and bespoke approaches to answering these questions, and to dealing with the challenging issues arising from leveraging team performance.
Typical elements include:-
- Working closely with the team members and involving them at an early stage.
- Building mutual credibility and respect and encouraging open and honest debate.
- Developing collective agreement of the team’s purpose.
- Undertaking a joint diagnosis of issues with the wider team, customers and suppliers to understand different perspectives.
- Making use of existing available data.
- Determining what kind of relationships are required to achieve what is needed.
- Benchmarking against other teams where appropriate.
- Contracting with team members and leaders to build ownership of and commitment to success.
While our work will involve looking at strategies, priorities and measures, it will also invariably address motivations, attitudes, passions and drives. Looking at one area in isolation seldom takes you very far. Building a team’s capacity and willingness to talk openly, generate trust, take risks and secure real commitment is at the heart of how we work with you.