Developing Your Organisation
“Most organisations live with, and react to, change every day. We help you to create the right changes in your business…and then make them stick.”
If you get the right quality of leadership in place throughout the organisation, (not just at the top), and create the conditions to allow them to contribute fully, then the translation to organisation performance is predictable.
So, for your organisation…
- How would you describe the leadership you need to create the business success you want?
- Have you got the calibre of leaders capable of delivering it?
- How do you know? How do you measure this?
- Do you have the leadership strength that attracts the best new recruits?
- Do you suffer relentless poaching of your best talent? If not, why not?!
- Are your current leaders working at the edge of their potential?
- Is it OK to deliver the results, yet behave dysfunctionally?
- Do you courageously link the WHAT of delivery to the HOW of leadership behaviour? What would your people say?
- Do good people get on?
- How much differentiation is there between the (real) consequences of great and poor performance?
- What happens to people who consistently under-perform?
- Do leaders take their development seriously?
- Are line managers equipped to coach for high performance… do they?
- What quality of coaching, supervision and feedback do they receive?
When you think about it, what can be a higher priority in your organisation than building a high performance culture?
How we work with you
We work alongside you to understand what you want to achieve and the implications for your leadership and performance culture. We do this by:
- Reviewing your current Performance Management related processes, tools and practices.
- Assessing their real business impact.
- Streamlining your processes and tools to put the emphasis on powerful conversations and disciplined follow-up.
- Working with your senior leaders to help them to understand just. what these changes will take from them.
- Build their skills, desire and confidence to do it.
This isn’t just another initiative… it’s every leader’s day job and part of a rigorous and long term commitment to creating the success you want by creating a performance culture that works for you.
For ways of engaging your leaders in leading the change see ‘Up For It’ Attitudes To Cultural Change below.
For fast and effective ways of engaging your people see Breakthrough Engagement processes below.
When your business needs to transform or create rapid change, letting the people who know best create and deliver these changes makes a lot of sense! Often it’s not the corporate strategists and planners who know how to speed up a particular process or reduce waste or really delight customers; it’s the people who are closest to the action……if only they were asked and then trusted to get on with it.
That’s what our Breakthrough processes are about.
- Directly involving your people who are closest to the process, or customer to decide (within well-defined boundaries) what needs to be addressed.
- Generation of well thought out proposals for improvements.
- The opportunity for them to pitch their proposals directly to the people who can say yes, no, maybe if…….
- Giving them an immediate go/don’t go answer.
- Authorisation to go ahead and implement.
All of this typically happens during one afternoon, with a momentum that cuts through indecision. For ongoing support we have a toolkit of Breakthrough processes and can help you to build your own internal capability to facilitate and lead Breakthrough events.
For engaging your leaders in leading big change see ‘Up for It’ Attitudes to cultural change below.
We believe that paying close attention to HOW your leaders lead, as well as WHAT they achieve is one of the best ways to work towards sustainable performance. Most organisations recognise the short-termism and risks of a ‘delivery at all costs’ approach.
Very often, however, this intellectual recognition doesn’t reach the DNA of the organisation. You may have some leadership values or competency statements or profiles, but they don’t penetrate the day-to-day behaviour of your leaders.
We can work with you and your people to
- Identify the distinct and specific leadership behaviours your organisation needs to achieve success.
- Simply articulate these behaviours in everyday language that everyone can relate to.
- Integrate and embed these behaviours into your Performance Management and Talent Management processes.
Contact us to discuss how you can help you leaders to take their leadership behaviour much more seriously, in ways which improve organisational performance.
Some of our attitudes and beliefs about addressing leadership culture include…
- Change happens individually and then collectively.
- Respected and supported people give more of their best.
- Open and honest dialogue helps to minimise blocks to performance.
- Deeds are more powerful than words
- Relationships are key to building commitment.
- Appropriate Support and Challenge maximises individual, team and organisational performance.
Up for It workshops help leaders and those they lead to.
- clearly understand what they are being asked to commit to (and the opportunity to shape some of this).
- generate a strong sense of personal and collective responsibility for what it’s going to take to meet the challenges ahead.
- increase self-awareness, build some skills and contribute to a ‘feedback rich’ environment…with a very clear ‘as is’ picture.
- create open and direct working environments, with clear agreements about how to sustain them.
- agree what development and support is needed, and what they need to do with their own teams, to lead the way.
- build intellectual and emotional commitment.
For ways of mass engagement of your people in your change programme see ‘Breakthrough’ (Rapid change and High Engagement) Processes above.
How often have you heard businesses confidently claim, “Our people are our most important asset”? In too many cases the words are not matched by the actions. Would you really fail to effectively upgrade your ‘main assets’? Would you take such a cursory look at how well your “most important assets” were contributing to organisational success, or what they needed to make fuller contributions?
We believe there are few (if any) more important priorities for an organisation than to
- Identify high potential leaders and accelerate their growth and impact.
- Create the environment and for them to lead, stretch themselves and learn to create followership
- Embed ongoing support and regular follow-up
We don’t offer an off-the-peg solution to these challenges; we are highly experienced at working with organisations to help design, co-deliver and coach their Executive Development Programmes.
The approach will be as varied as the culture and goals of the organisation we are working with and the aims of their EDPs. However, there are well-tested design principles that we can share with you to create the solutions that best meet your needs.